Friday 5 December 2008

In his room

What is it going to be like, Dad? Can I do it? Will I be okay? And then he walked up the

steps of the bus and disappeared inside. And the bus drove away. And I had said nothing.

A decade or so later, a similar scene played itself out. With his mother, I drove him to

William and Mary College in Virginia. His first night, he went out with his new schoolmates,

and when he met us the next morning, he was sick. He was coming down with mononucleosis, but

we could not know that then. We thought he had a hangover.

In his room, Dan lay stretched out on his bed as I started to leave for the trip home. I

tried to think of something to say to give him courage and confidence as he started this new

phase of life.

Again, words failed me. I mumbled something like, "Hope you feel better Dan." And I left.

No comments: